Friday, July 17, 2015

Saying Goodbye

Tonight I went to the viewing of one of my coworkers.  On Tuesday my coworker, who was 22 years old, was found dead in his home.  When I found out Tuesday I was devastated. He was SUCH a great guy and awesome to work with.  

Going to the viewing was so hard. So so so hard. Saying goodbye is never easy, but this was so close to home.  I haven't been to a funeral of someone I was close to in several years.

As we were standing there talking one of my friends quietly said to me "This could have been you...I'm so glad it wasn't..." My heart broke because that changed the dynamic immediately.  I immediately started thinking of how it could have been me, how that could have been my family everyone was lining up to pass condolences to.

I am beyond thankful that wasn't the case though.

As we stood there someone said that heaven must really need an ER nurse because there was me that nearly died, then 5 days later another ER nurse nearly died as well with horrific complications, and now him.

Our department has been through a lot this summer, but we've grown closer because of it.  I'm so sad that when I return to work he won't be there. Night shift wont be the same without him.

Rest in Peace my friend, rest in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment