Friday, August 14, 2015

Barron Lake

After my huge panic attack in the water at Tri Goddess Tri I was a little gun-shy about doing any more triathlons this summer.  I don't know why that one freak out got to me so badly, but it did.  I skipped the race that 90% of the rest of my tri club and friends did because I was so nervous about the swim.  But then I realized I was actually bummed to miss it. So, I faced my nerves and got back in the water and started swimming again.  And it's been good! Really good!

I told Jorden after TGT that I wouldn't be doing any more races, other than running with myTeam Triumph, between then and Chicago. I think Jorden was relieved because that meant less money leaving our bank account each month!

So a couple weeks ago the discussion came up between our Tri Club about two triathlons at the end of August, both of which are on the same day.  I have done both and so I weighed in on which race I liked better.  A couple of my really good friends went ahead and registered for the one I had loved last year, a super sprint (200m swim, 12 mile bike, 1.6 run), instead of the other, a sprint (500m swim, 20k bike, 3.1 run).  I stuck to my "I'm not doing any more races" platform but said I'd be there to cheer them on.

But of course I started thinking about it, and the itch set it.  I knew I was swimming well (for me), I knew I really did want to do it, but I just wasn't 100% sold that I should do it.

Fast forward to last weekend.

I'm at the bridal shower of my really good friend and I'm sitting next to a girl who I knew from the pharmacy department at our hospital, but I couldn't tell you anything else about her.  Two of the girls who were at the shower were marked and wearing their Steelhead armbands because they were racing the next day.  The girl from pharmacy asked about what race they were doing and so the topic of triathlons came up! She, the girl from pharmacy, told us about how last year she had decided that since she was turning 30 she wanted to do a triathlon to mark the year so she could remember it.

She proceeded to tell us about how much she loved it and would really like to do some more.  My friends laughed saying that if she spent any time around us I would convince her to do more since I'm the one always convincing everyone to sign up for more races!

She laughed and said that she was just so inspired by everyone and was surprised at how nice people were. She said "I was riding my mountain bike along and this girl came up and passed me on her bike and said to me "Keep it up! you're doing great!" and after she passed me her shirt said "You just got passed by a pregnant triathlete!" It was so cool to see someone out there doing it while they were pregnant and she was so nice and it made me want to do better!"

I nearly choked on my drink because THAT WAS ME!!


That was how we announced to the world that I was pregnant last year!! I couldn't believe it! I was so flattered that I had motivated  her to do better and push harder! It was so cool!

She was so excited to and told me about how she has told "EVERYONE" this story and how she was going to tell everyone how she had met me! It was cute because she asked if we could do a selfie so she could show her husband. 

                                     

After meeting her and thinking about her story of how I motivated her and inspired her I felt like I needed to do Barron Lake again. I felt like it was meant to be! So, I did it!


I'm really excited to return to this super sprint and do it again! It was a really fun course and a lot of great support along the race. This time I won't be wearing such an awesome shirt, but it will bring a smile to my face knowing that this year I'll have the cutest 4 month old baby cheering me on, where as last year she was my little race buddy! 

So ready or not, here I come Barron Lake!! I should probably get out my bike and make sure I can do the distance... 






No comments:

Post a Comment