Monday, August 10, 2015

Steelhead 70.3

Yesterday was Ironman Steelhead 70.3  It's a local race for us so a lot of my friends do the race.

I wanted to do it so badly this year and all through my pregnancy I trained for it. But then having Pubic Symphysis Disfunction I wasn't able to get back into biking or running as quickly as I thought I would so I ended up not registering for it this year.  So next year is my year!

Anyway, every year for the last 5 years I have worked in the medical tent during the race. I make sure I'm off every year because I love it. I love the energy and the inspiration I receive at the race each year!

 My coworker and friend Lynette and I worked together all last year and kind of teamed up to go out to any athletes in need and then we spent a large portion of our time at the finish line catching.

It was awesome. So we of course teamed up again this year to provide medical support and be cheerleaders for all our friends and coworkers who were racing!

The lake was perfect and the swimmers did awesome. I looked at that course thinking "nope..no way...nope, nope, nope, NOPE!" 1.2 miles is a long.freaking.way.

We headed up to the transition point from the swim chute to the bikes to cheer.

And cheer we did! My throat was sore from all the screaming! Some swimmers looked like they'd just taken a quick dip, others were puking looking like they wanted to die. I could totally feel their pain.

As the bikers came in we tried to catch all of our friends coming in but sadly we missed a few since we actually had to work and take care of some sick athletes! But we saw a huge portion come in and that was awesome!

By the time runners were coming across the finish line I was so ready for registration to open for 2016 so I could register!  I stood there watching athletes push themselves to the limits just so they could cross that finish line with their arms in the air and the biggest smiles you could have ever dreamed of having! I tried to snap pictures of all our friends as they finished, which made being there at the finish line all the more awesome!

Seeing the varying emotions as each athlete finished was awesome! Some were in tears, some were in pain, some weren't even aware that they were at the finish line, some crossed with their hands held high while others struggled to cross upright, most crossed on their own, but a few crossed with the help of others. It was so awesome to see Team RWB there with a blind athlete and her guide, myTeamTriumph was there with Captain Johnny who swam and biked with his Angel Christian, then was pushed on the run by his dad and then crossed the finish line on his own two feet with so much joy I was in tears! And then there was Fireman Rob who crossed the finish line in his full Fireman gear! I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a selfie with him! ;)

By the time our last friend was through the run I was ready to come home and go for a run! I was ready to get my training going for next year!  Looking forward to registering as soon as registration opens up for next year! And I'm super excited because Jorden has seriously talked about doing it with me!!! Talk about awesome!!

So who's doing it with me? You know you want to!!









No comments:

Post a Comment